A Freedom of Information act submitted by the Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART) Supervisory and Professional Union turned up some pretty wild spending on BART executive salaries and $27,000 of very unrelated/frivolous expenses like shoes, catering and outdoor gear from REI. The full report can be found here: AFSCME – BARTReport (PDF) or check out the AFSCME site.
Among the items charged to, and paid for, by the District in 2008 are:
- Over $27,000 in food and catering including:
- $2,635.36 on Togo’s Sandwiches
- $1,160 on See’s Candies
- $953.05 on Roundtable Pizza
- $1,300 at Performance POS, a fine dining company in the North Bay
- $577.15 at Devan Thai Cuisine in Oakland
- $493.14 on The Glass Onion gourmet catering
- $23,487.77 spent at local Apple stores or Apple online stores (the District’s computer system is not compatible with Macs)
- Over $15,000 in office furniture purchases from:
- Kantor’s Furniture
- Interior Motions
- Almost $6,300 on companies that make promotional items with corporate logos, such as pens, hats, mugs, or key chains.
- $5,200 on Blackberry devices – or at least 50 new phones over the course of the year.
- $1,629 on an “Angel Island Tram Tour”
- Over $1,500 on shoes, shoe repairs, and bags or luggage, including:
- Over $1,500 at the outdoor gear store REI.
- $554.48 on eyeQ speed reading software.
And on the topic of executive compensation, we can find our good friend Linton Johnson (yeah, the guy who took the Constitution into his own hands):